Thursday, September 30, 2010

an intro to furniture, of sorts...

Paul and I are ... interesting ... when it comes to furniture. We know what we don't like (style wise) but have pretty eclectic tastes and like all sorts of things. So our furniture tends to fall in a "hodge podge but it totally works" kind of situation. We both like all types of wood finishes depending on what piece it's on so when we started deciding what to do for the nursery it was sort of a free for all.

After much debate (not between Paul and I but the debate in my head) we settled on white. Which was a shock to most people, but it's what worked best for our current house and will work fine in any house we put it in later for future kids. So then it was on to style. We both like modern, transitional and traditional. But we got our crib (as a wonderful present) before we knew what we were having, so that set the tone for the rest of the pieces in the room.

Our crib is from PB Kids and for the price, the quality was well worth it. Every other place I looked, you spent an outrageous amount on a "modern" crib and the quality wasn't always that good. And I've bought furniture from Pottery Barn before so I knew what I was getting into. Plus, this kept us from going too modern or too traditional, which was perfect for the rest of our house.

We then settled on a dresser and bookshelf from IKEA. I've seen a lot of people use this dresser in their nurseries and I've been told, drawers, drawers, drawers. We'll use it as our changing table too. I plan to switch out the knobs for a more decorative style so it's a little different than everyone else's.


The bookshelf will hold a few metal locker storage baskets that will hold books, toys and blankets and the rest of the shelves I am sure will get filled up quickly as we're already accumulating wonderful gifts!

Finding a rocking chair though proved to be, for a lack of a better and more eloquent phrase, total crap. Everything I was finding was either quadruple my budget, ugly or didn't rock. I guess the "ugly" statement isn't completely fair. Some of them weren't ugly, they just were not right for our house, our style or our nursery. I really wanted a vintage mid century danish style rocker but all the ones I could find were in worse shape than I cared to care for. Things were looking down. So far down in fact, I almost gave up and was going to either A) shell out $1000 for a fully upholstered piece or B) move the recliner back into the room (and I was dreading both options). I'd almost made my decision when I stumbled upon this baby:

I about lost it and bought it on the spot. Urban Outfitters? Really? I was going to buy furniture from UO? There was only 1 review and I decided I had plenty of time to purchase it if it was what I really wanted. And then it disappeared. Story of my life.

And I about lost it again, but for a totally different and unrealistic reason. It was just a chair. You would have thought someone would have needed to walk me back off the edge of a cliff. It wasn't really the story of my life, my life's been great, I'm never the "always screwed over type". So I was back to settling between option A and B when it reappeared with more fabrics then ever and tons of reviews!

It was settled, it was the chair.

This weekend, Paul and I are heading to Dallas to pick all this lovely stuff up. With another set of family coming to visit in possibly two weeks, work commitments on weekends, 4 baby showers on the other weekends and the holidays just around the corner we figured now was as good as time as any!

2 comments:

Emily said...

That's the crib we have! Well, not the EXACT crib bc Colin built it. But that's the one we modeled it after! And we did that long before we had our Kendall so it was fitting for her.

I love everything you have picked out. I'm in the process of redoing Kendall's room (big girl room...sniff) so I love seeing what you posted.

PS I love that crib also bc it's great for a girl or a boy if you have one down the road.

Christa said...

That's awesome that Colin built the crib! We thought about building some of the stuff but just typing that wore me out again, so we settled on buying. And that's funny about it being the Kendall crib! You know you stole the name from the furniture piece, don't lie.