Friday, October 1, 2010

o·c·t·o·b·e·r

I should be working. I have a deadline. Today.

Which means that for the last two weeks my chest has been tight, my teeth have been clenched, my legs have been bouncing and I have struggled to focus on any one task for more than three seconds at a time. Yea, these things are fun. So, with today being the big day to issue a package of construction documents to the contractor, I should be working.

But it’s October 1st. And what's better is, I'm done at 8:38 am.

The month of October has a special little place in my heart. It is my birthday month and in a fully self righteous and narcissistic way that makes it special. I’m not the kind of person that celebrates my birthday for more than the day it’s on, and even on the day, I don’t make too big of a deal of it. The day doesn’t roll around for another 16 days but starting October 1st, things get good around my neck of the woods. There’s something about October 1st that means newness for me. Most people find spring to be the season that does that for them, but I wasn’t born in spring and therefore, spring means nothing more than green grass and come this time of year, I’ve seen plenty of green grass and I don’t mind the brown so much.

October is when everything started and every year I feel like it’s starting again. I know that that feeling is something I’ve put into my own head and that I don’t remember it being October and cold when I was an infant. But over the last 24 years I think I’ve convinced myself mentally that I do remember it and that’s why it’s so special.

But besides all of that mumbo jumbo, it's October which means celebrating tons of other people's birthday's too, going for walks outside because it's so freaking nice, driving with the windows down, apple crisp (which Paul made last night and I ate for breakfast today), and cardigans. CARDIGANS people.

I'll be heading out of work early today, just because I can and I may spend my free time outside, just sitting. Still too warm for a cardigan, but nicer than it was a month ago.

photo from Etsy seller integrity studio.

1 comment:

Amy said...

love love love your post! So glad we share a birthday month and having baby girls at the same time in a few months!