Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Fun Stuff : Nursery Planning

So, having a newbie joining our family means lots of shifting and sorting and purging. For example, the office I posted about earlier was technically up first. It's still up, in the process, but so are a thousand other projects around our little house.

In fact, our bedroom was on the list to freshen up and has somehow far surpassed the progress in the nursery or the office. It got a fresh coat a lighter paint, new drapery panels, a new bed, new bedding, updated photos and new art.

We've also re-carpeted the three closets in the house. The brown, old, dirty shag just gave me the creeps when I thought about my kid crawling into one of the closets or the amount of dirt that I wouldn't be able to get out no matter how hard I tried. So one of my carpet product representatives quickly ordered me up 9 square yards of some commercial grade, high quality carpet and Paul and I went to work. For future reference, if you need carpeting work done, call a professional installer. It sucked.

But the really fun room, the room I've been thinking about for weeks now is what this is all about.

Erika Powell said it best when she was pregnant with her first, "And you know, when you are a designer the baby's name is secondary to the nursery. If I had a dime for every time someone asked about the nursery I'd be on in island somewhere in a hammock, drinking a virgin pina colada."

Well, we don't find out for another week whether our little human is a girl or a boy but knowing how insane our schedule is going to be over the next 5 months, we chose to start planning early. Plus, we're planners. Super, ridiculous planners.

I fell in love with a paint color while at Home Depot that is in the new Martha Stewart Living Collection called Seaglass. I knew it was the color for the room no matter what the sex of the baby turned out to be. So it got purchased and with the help of my dad and Paul, it started going up along with a fresh white trim paint on all of the baseboards, door trim and window sills.


*Side note about Martha Stewart paints: If you have fallen head over heels for Behr's Premium Primer and Paint in One, expect to be poorly disappointed in this Martha Stewart product. It's sold in the same freaking store but goes to show that not all paint is created equal. The color was/is perfect and in the mornings and late in the evenings is blue but during the day with the windows open it brings out all the green. But talk about watery. And forget getting it on in one coat. From now on, I'll just have them color match the color chip of any product (including the ones they sell) to the Behr.

My parents came up to help us around the house a couple of weekends ago and my dad and Paul made some serious progress on the room. Paul and I need to cut in the blue one last time, do probably another coat on the trim and then we'll call it good.

This nursery has been a bit of funny subject for me. I know that there are a lot of children that are brought home to nurseries that are not so quite done being finished, or need a few tweaks, or haven't even been started for that matter. But for some reason, in my head, I feel like this is important. I know the kid will sleep in our room for the first little bit but I want to bring him or her home for the first time, take him or her in a fully finished room and say, "This, this is yours."

I also don't want to be tweaking anything once that baby is here. I want to sleep when it's sleeping and feed and play with it when it's not and enjoy every possible second I have at home before I have to go back to work.

So yea, I've started a little early but don't have major plans on taking the room anywhere for a little while. Once we know what we're having, I'll start planning more, but for now, the paint is up and I love it.

No comments: