Friday, June 11, 2010

summer

I think I've mentioned previously how much I do not like summer and if I have not, I am now. I especially don't like it now that I am an adult. There is no break from school to enjoy or vacations to go on (we much prefer fall/winter/spring travel). The only thing summer has going for it, in my opinion, is that it is nine o'clock before it gets close to being dark out and there is a prolific number of snow cone stands that crop up.

However, I haven't been hating on the summer as much this year as I typically do. Granted, it's only June11th and we have a long way to go here in Oklahoma City before the fall arrives, but right now, I can handle it. And believe it or not, I've only had two snow cones.

I'm very intrigued by summer entertaining right now which makes me wonder if the prospect of doing so is helping me stem off the hate.

Entertaining, like I like to do, takes a lot of effort though. Not that I am complaining, I just don't seem to have the people to invite to parties like these all the time.


These photos (found at Hostess of course) make me want to break out some mason jars, mix up some lemonade in our glass pitcher and cover my patio table in flowers with candles hanging from the trees. I've also been obsessing over 4th of July celebrating. We're not even going to be in town, rather at my parent's house, but I want to throw a party. My brother's birthday is on the 5th and every year for quite some time we threw him a party with the classic white sheet cake covered in strawberries and blueberries making a flag. I want to throw his birthday party this year (although I doubt he's even in town), and for old times sake, have his flag birthday cake.


I'd have lanterns, flags, galvanized tubs full of drinks and flowers to show off some serious patriotic style. I like the whole New England summer cottage covered in flags, its quite quanit and charming and it's exactly what I'd be going for.   

Who is throwing summer parties this year? Because I want to attend them.

No comments: