Wednesday, March 17, 2010

organizational skills

So, to continue the post of "craziest month of my life".... I thought I'd share a little bit of my crazy side again.

One of my college friends is getting married on April 24th at Wiley Post Airport. For their grand departure, they are going to fly off into the sunset, or the night, depends on when we get done dancing and eating I suppose. I received invitations to both her regular (kitchen, bath, and house) shower and her personal shower. I knew I could attend the regular one but would be out of town for her personal shower and needed to RSVP with our other college friend who was throwing it for her.

Well I forgot to RSVP to tell her I wouldn’t be there. You know who I get that from? My mother. My mom taught me how to label boxes and put everything in a place. She taught me how to purge and how to organize my STUFF but what she didn’t teach me, because she is still AWFUL at it, is organizing life.

[Now mom, if you're reading, don't get upset and just stop to think about how long it has been since you checked your mail last. Been a few days? Maybe a week? Yea I thought so. And when was the last time you wrote something on your hand? This week...oh right.]

Like I said, my mom taught me how to organize stuff better than the best of them. She's a regular Martha Stewart when it comes to the label maker. But all of that "making sure you are where you are supposed to be and on time thing", she never really caught on to and neither did I.

So, Stacey (the one throwing the shower) very politely messaged me to see if I could come or not where I had to apologize for my lack of organization (I knew roughly where the invitation was laying and had no idea where Heidi was even registered) and apologized for not being able to attend. I told her I needed a personal assistant, a maid and a personal hairdresser to make sure I would show up to events and places that I am supposed to be at with clean clothes on and my hair at least washed. I wasn't kidding, unfortunately. I almost put at the bottom of my reply that I would for sure see her at Heidi's other shower but I didn't realizing I didn’t even remember when that shower was being held.

I got home last night and while working on removing items from the kitchen found the second shower invitation. It was last Thursday night. I missed it.

So now I am coordinating a present drop off. And I'm going to have to make sure I put it on my work calendar, write it on my hand and maybe have Paul send me a text message to remind me to meet up with Stacey. Pathetic.

If you need your pantry or mudroom organized though, I'm your gal.

No comments: