Monday, August 3, 2009

"Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child

We are going to go see Julie & Julia this weekend. Since I saw the first ad, I've thought it looked cute; the more ads I see (and all of the hype that has been going with it), the more excited I get. I have always known of Julia Child but some recent digging has helped me to get a clearer picture of this woman. I want her first book. Not necessarily because the food looks delicious and it certainly won't help me with my goal to get rid of extra cook books but I love the vintage-ness of it. I have one more recipe to make out of one of our cookbooks before I am ready to pass three of our books on to someone else to use. One of them is an old vintage cookbook that some women (I don't even know them) in my hometown made (sort of like an original Rachel Ray concept). I stole it from the trash pile my mom had thrown it in a couple of months ago with disgust that she was willing to get rid of this vital piece of my childhood upbringing. These were the recipes she cooked for us as kids! These were some of our favorite recipes! Never mind the fact that my mom had combined them into our church cookbook - which I own a copy of, that didn't matter. The old vintage cookbook had a sentimental value to it. As I am sure this book would have if I could find a copy of it at a used bookstore sometime. Ladies and gentlemen, keep your eyes open for it because I will pay you back if you find it. Just don't spend a fortune on it, because then, I may not pay you back.


I love to cook, even though I can get entirely too lazy and skip full weeks of cooking at a time. I love the food we create, but I love the tools and the fun stuff that goes with it. If it is Le Creuset and red, we own it....except for this. And I want it.
Maybe we wouldn't have such an itch to eat and cook if we didn't watch the Food Network ALL THE TIME. But alas, the television tends to stay on that station the majority of the time it is on. I also own three aprons and use only one of them but would seriously consider buying this one - again for its shabby chic vintage appeal (found here).


Well, enough about what I want to spend money on. I think I'd rather get my kitchen renovation underway but it seems like a much larger (and more expensive task) than a cookbook, apron and frying pan.

No comments: