Sunday, July 19, 2009

DO IT AT HOME (buy local)

I started following the 3/50 Project on Facebook a few months ago, spent some time on their website, really enjoyed what I saw but then moved on. After seeing an update on my page from them today, I spent another 30 minutes reviewing their website and was reminded of why I became a fan.



I love shopping at locally owned shops all over the US and some of my best purchases have been from small local stores. I think that is why I love downtown Holland so much (minus the few chains that are on that strip). And don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for larger, national chains and I shop at them and eat at them and on and on and on. I buy my groceries at Wal-Mart Neighborhood market because they're the cheapest but love to stop at Market C when I need cheese or bread. I buy clothes at Ann Taylor Loft and JCrew but I also shop at FireFly. Being married to an Urban Planner has swayed my thinking on this issue as well. He would rather eat and shop local before ever thinking about going to a chain. He's passionate about mom and pop shops that have had to close and wants to support the ones that are still operating as much as possible. Maybe that is why we spend so much money at The Iguana Grill...

Their concept is really unique and probably pretty sound. Select three locally owned businesses that you would miss if they disappeared and stop in at them a few extra times. I could easily find more than three in Holland (which technically isn't buying local - but it's still an economy I want my money to go to) and definitely have three local OKC places too.

Next, try and spend $50 every month in a locally owned business. I know I spend more than this on dinner out in a month and so why not spend it at local restaurants? Christmas is an easy time for me to spend my money locally. Jewelry at FireFly, home accents at On a Whim and the French Cowgirl and I'm pretty well set for all of the girls on my shopping lists.

Doing those two things can help sustain those businesses longer than they would if you went somewhere else like Target or the mall (obviously, this is not a hard concept).

I think Cinda Baxter has a great thing going here. I looked at the project's supporter page when I first came across the website and was disappointed that no one in Oklahoma had either heard of it or was interested in it. Today, proved to be different. There are actually supporters from here now. Most supporters are churches or chambers of commerce but at least there are some small businesses listed and the chamber can be good at getting the word out right?

Hopefully this keeps growing not only nationally but in Oklahoma too. I hate talk about the economy and our recession - but this is a cooler way to look at it and gives people a more unique way to be supportive of the local economy without sounding so stuffy.


Well, baseboard is done and installed and looks fabulous. Time to move on to the next project.

1 comment:

jodimichelle said...

My 3 are Indigo for flower needs, JP's for coffee (obviously) and either Readers world or Treehouse books for reading material. I love this project. For food, well - come one. Margaritas. Hands down.

Orange tree, though - I MISS YOU.