Saturday, July 18, 2009

Miscellaneous Saturday

Today was a great combination of productivity and relaxation. I can't say my husband would agree since the cats woke him up at 6:00 crying for food. I however, got out of bed at 8 am and slowly made my way to the TV room where I continued to lounge watching the Tour de France with Paul. We finally got up and moving and out the door and headed to my office to scrounge for boxes to pack my sister-in-law's baby shower present in. We went grocery shopping where we indulged ourselves with ingredients we didn't need but wanted and stocked up on BOGO free frosted flakes. We ran out and got all the items needed for our tiny little wall missing its baseboard and came home and started working on it. It's not finished because staining to match the woodwork around it was as difficult as I thought it would be.

After trying two stains we found in the basement and purchasing one at Lowe's (and then mixing them together) I think we finally got the color right. Now it needs to dry, so here's hoping for the piece to get installed tomorrow.

We decided to have a picnic for dinner and after a mini freak out in the kitchen (where my husband proceeded to laugh at me and remind me of how much I needed to learn to relax) we went to our neighborhood gourmet market right down the street, Market C, to grab some old fashioned soda. While there I nabbed a couple of deviled eggs for myself. Who could resist? We then headed to Norman where we picked up some fried chicken from our good friend the Colonel and headed to the park. We laid out our blankets and had our dinner as we listened to a family playing baseball behind us, teenage boys on their skateboards and little kids screaming as they were getting soaked at the splash ground.

After we ate our dinner we relaxed for about an hour and I read some more of my book. It was great to go somewhere and take the time to relax. When you relax at home or close to home, there are always things to get you distracted.

All there was to do at the park (far away from home) was what we brought to do or nothing and both were great. Our little setup was invaded by ants shortly after our relaxation hour so we quickly ate the cake we brought, packed up and headed home. All in all it was a great day and I am sorry it'll be over soon. Great Saturdays can be hard to come by.

2 comments:

jodimichelle said...

Did you bring a pie and knock this off your life list too? the whole, old fashioned picnic thing? We don't even have a basket and I need to change that quickly because the kids love picnics and it'd be such a great and easy way to do date nights on a budget :)

Love the photos!!

Christa said...

No, we don't have a basket either and it was my goal that day to go and get a basket and to take a pie. Paul got real excited about going out to do this and wanted this cake so the pie was out and I lost on the search for the basket. We'll just have to do the old fashioned one soon...Maybe we'll go in Holland if you get a basket :)