Monday, July 27, 2009

"Among the therapeutic agents not to be found bottled up and labeled on our shelves is traveling, a means of prevention, of cure and of restoration."

I hate how much money Paul and I spend going out to eat. We love to cook and make great food, but we get so lazy sometimes and tonight was one of those nights. So we went to Taco Bell, we didn't even go out for good food. No, we chose taco bell. We have to stop wasting money at places like that.

I was really trying to figure out (over the weekend) exactly how far I wanted this blog to go. I have still yet to figure it out. There is so much I want to write about. Co-workers, family, church, but so many factors play into why I feel like I can't write about those things. I know that I could make people laugh and understand what situations are like if I wrote about things that happen to me everyday and I would love to be honest about them. To get all the things out that I can't make myself say in real life, to actually understand the things I am feeling by getting them out on paper would be great. But I know the honesty I would have would crush people if they ever read it. I wouldn't be hateful or nasty, but my humor (and writing style) is incredible straight forward and I don't think the people I was writing about would find it humorous. People would be furious with what I had to say and the people I would write about are the people that wouldn't take it well at all. Should I get over that? Should I just move past that, get it out and live with the consequences if (and when) they come? Or should I write it down somewhere other than this blog and let Paul and my mom read it just to get some laughs?

I mean we're talking about an unbelievably obnoxious co-worker, the sister-in-law, a church acquaintance, and I could continue the list. Trust me, it could be quite enjoyable. Maybe I'll write it somewhere else, let a few people read it and if they think its worth going on the blog then I could post it later. I guess we'll see.

We leave for Amsterdam in 67 days. I'm not, not excited but I'm not quite thrilled yet. I've been to Mexico a few times but other than that this will be my first trip out of the country and I don't think I know how much fun I'll have yet. We're also going to Switzerland and Germany so it will be a busy week. Here are a few things I want to do in Amsterdam.


I don't know if we'll rent bikes or not but I love this bike by Dutch Bike Co. Plus, we'll be in Amsterdam so why not travel like the locals? This bike is super cute and called Oma. Clever, right?

I also want to go on a canal ride. I think a koffie or thee (coffee or tea) ride would be fun and a good way to spend one of our afternoons.

We're also going to go to a lot of museums but I hope we don't spend too much time at them. I want to make sure we do a picnic at Vondelpark and check out the flowers at the Bloemenmarkt before heading over to the Noordermarkt to buy gifts. Ok, starting to get excited.

We're also going to Michigan the first weekend in September to meet our niece who will have hopefully arrived at that time and to spend some time on the lake. I'm going to knock some of my items off my list over the next few months. I wish I didn't have to work and the only thing I had to do was accomplish things off the list. Whew, I just got excited about the thought of that and then a little disappointed when I remembered it's still Monday.

Oh well, I'm still thinking about how cute that Oma bike is.

1 comment:

jodimichelle said...

DO NOT WRITE ABOUT PEOPLE!!! Only write something you would dare say in front of them and 10 of their closest friends. Take it from me and half the internet who's done the - they won't find it - thing. they always find it. It's terrible. In other news, I just bought a new domain name (think new website) called "naked on paper" and I think it's going to be a collaboration space where people can share stories like this and be untraceable - which means they can either submit it as anonymous and no one is the wiser - or they can use their name or pen name ... and .... it's just a space for people to write the honest, naked things they feel scared or worried to write elsewhere.

Coming soon.

Wish I could come in your luggage on your trip. Been to Amsterdam - it's freaking beautiful. Bikes are every where. Buy flowers from a street vendor.

CANNOT WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER.