Tuesday, June 7, 2011

cooking for an infant

Addison had her four month wellness check up today and she checked out great. She's in the 25th percentile for her weight and head circumference and in the 50th for her height. I find that odd because she's looking a little chunky to me. Not bad chunky, baby cute chunky of course.


She's also doubled her birth weight and has been eating rice cereal lately like a champ. We're going to keep that up for another month but her doctor said that around the five month mark we can start her on some fruits and vegetables.

Seriously?!

I just got this whole formula feeding thing down and I'm good at it. Like really good at it and keeping up with it. Now you want me to figure out how to start serving solids, and displace bottles and get my child to turn into a normal human being who eats regular food one day?!

Fuh-reak-ing out.

The plan has been and is to make her baby food. Paul and I got ourselves back in the kitchen at the beginning of May and have been truly enjoying cooking our food again. We were tired of the restaurants we had been frequenting and we we're tired of the effect they were having on our wallets. So, we want to consciously make Addison's food too. We'll know what's in it, how long it's been "fresh" and it'll be cheap, cheap, cheap. And since she eats like a little bird, the cheap, cheap, cheap part seems quite appropriate in more ways than one.

Back when I was pregnant, I swore that I needed one of these babycook do-dads. But now that it's actually getting to be close to time to start this whole process, shelling out $145.00 for yet another kitchen appliance seems ridiculous. Considering we own a steaming pot, KitchenAid blender and Cuisinart food processor. Oh and our kitchen is the size of some people's powder baths and storage space is limited.
So, I've decided to forgo the fancy little steamer/pureeing combo and use the ridiculously expensive appliances I already own. Oh darn.

OK, so I know what I'm going to use, however I have no idea what to do with them. This cannot be rocket science.

I started googling for baby puree recipes and did you know there are entire baby food cookbooks out there? Genius, sort of. Most of the first food recipes say things like, "Steam one cup of carrots. Place in blender and puree. Serve and freeze."

Yea, OK, I know how to do that. I don't need a cookbook for that but I do need one for things like Pumpkin Banana Puree and Banana Avocado Puree. I mean the whole point of making her baby food is to watch what goes in her body right? So I don't think letting someone whose never made baby food before, just whip up whatever she wants and shovel it her kid's mouth is accomplishing the same goal. So I do want a little direction. Mock me if you must.

Here are the ones I've researched online and want to check out at B&N or BAM before I buy:



I know, you probably think they all look ridiculous but I'm at least going to check them out.

The only other question I'm working through is how to store, carry and keep this food. I know a lot of people use ice cube trays to freeze the food they make and that works, but we currently have two ice trays, and we use them for, wait for it, ICE. So I could go buy one, but why buy an ice tray when you could buy one of these puppies:
My only beef with the Beaba trays (above) is that they don't have a container that their little frozen food will fit in perfectly like the same shaped Tupperware or jar. So while it will be fine when we are feeding her at home, it's not so convenient for daycare, trips, etc. 

I know a lot of people also buy 15-20 jars of baby food at first and then reuse them to store the items they make. But I'm not a huge fan of glass jars. I do know Gerber has been making their packaging a BPA free plastic container lately. The only thing I'm not sure on is if they are re-usable, dishwasher safe and if the lid snaps back on tightly. I guess I could buy one and check it out.  

Anyone use these before and know if they are re-usable?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I made all of Kendall's baby food. (Didn't with Case, I was too overwhelmed with everything) I used ice cube trays and that worked great. I did keep some gerber around mainly for traveling and then when Kendall started Sonshine School. Honestly, it's so stinking easy. Good for you!

Also, banana avocado (or banana-cado as we called it) was K's absolute favorite and she still has a strong affinity towards the avocado.

Unknown said...

Hey. I saw this online when I was searching for a baby shower gift for a friend. I don't know how good they really are, but they look like they might work. They have great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Freeze-Reusable-Containers-12-Pack/dp/B002YQQQJW/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1307551793&sr=1-1