Tuesday, May 25, 2010

whoop-dee freaking-dah

This past weekend, I made bread.

I know what you’re thinking. “Whoop-dee-freaking-dah, I make bread all the time.”

Well, I don’t so it was sort of a big deal.

In fact, I’ve never made bread. Paul threw out there that he’s made banana bread and some other things that have the word “bread” in them but he had never made the flour and yeast, sit on the counter rising type of bread either.

There has been lots of buzz on the blogs I read lately about people making bread and I figured Saturday would be the perfect day to try it. And I was right; it was absolutely the perfect day to do it. We spent the day at the grocery store and buying new plants for the backyard. And while Paul worked in the back, I made homemade bread and baked potato soup. Other than the fact that I over-thymed the soup, it was a delicious meal.

I used this recipe after We Met in A Bar raved about how simple it was. Simple was good. Simple was necessary.


And to my surprise it really was simple; in fact, it was a little TOO simple. I want to make bread all the time now. I have the recipe memorized and the amount of time it needs to rest and rise and when to knead it and when to bake it and for how long.

I also snagged this book off of Amazon over the weekend and not a moment too soon since they raised the price yesterday. Hope it’s as good as Kathleen says it is.

No comments: