Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Starfish Foundation

I'd like you to meet Leinel and Danay.


This is going to be a shameless plug for a charity so if you aren't interested, I'm sorry.

The Starfish Foundation was started by a gentleman by the name of Dennis Cady. The entire Cady family has made such an impact on the life of my family over the last ten years and I think the stuff Dennis works on is fabulous. He is an elder at the church I grew up at and one of his sons (daughter-in-law and grandchildren) go to church with us at Edmond. I got the go ahead from my mom (and Dennis) to write about her kids so here's the plug:

Dennis is working in Haiti now (as well as Indonesia) and is sponsoring an orphanage in Haiti called The Good Samaritan Oprhanage in Fort Liberty. My mom is sponsoring two of the kids at the orphanage (Leinel and Danay).

My mom sent me an email about them a week ago and told me that she picked them because they weren't smiling. I laughed because, how typical is it of my mother to chose unsmiling children when there were thirty four that had great smiles. They made her cry and so those were the two she wanted.

Leinel Jean has no last name and is nine years old. I've already given him our last name. Leinel Jean Ryckbost, a french-haitian dutch boy. Even if my mom and I are the only ones that have a last name for him, I'm glad he has one. That kid has got some mad style too - check out the popped collar. And then there's Danay Love and she is eight years old. I'm not trying to sound like a cheesy, send your money kind of infomercial but that's exactly how I feel.

It's only $80.00 a month to sponsor a kid and it pays for their food, clothing, bedding, etc. Here's the infomercial part again, think about how much you spent this week on anything. We are such an exorberent country. This may be a little nearer and dearer to my heart after my time in the heart of La Romana and being so close to Haiti but I'm excited for Dennis' project and hope he gets all the support he needs.

No comments: