Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Salt = comes to us from Latin sal, which evolved into French sel, Italian sale, Spanish sal, and Romanian sare...

My current read is Salt.

I know what you are thinking, I'm joking right? Right before we left for our last trip, we made a quick stop at the B&N to snag something for me to read by the pool. Paul picked it up as a joke, teasing me about all of the salt I eat, but after I saw the quote on the front of the book from Anthony Bourdain (actually not shown on the book cover to the left), I knew it could actually be quite good.

My sister-in-law, the one that loves to read, and I were talking about how commodity history has really taken off in the book market lately. People love to know about their stuff. Where it came from, who had it first, who took it from who and what part it played in the history of the world. That's what this book does. It's a Tulipomania (which was also a great commodity book), but for salt.

It's fascinating what you can learn about something you don't even think twice about. I had never pondered where salt came from or why we have so much of it, why it was even called "salt", and what it would be like to live without it. I also forget that it's technically a rock, the only rock that can be consumed.

Paul wasn't really joking when he was talking about how much salt I eat. I love the stuff. In fact we currently have five different types of salt in our kitchen and I'd have more if I had somewhere to put it. I've been eyeing this for quite some time and am just holding out for a birthday or a gift receiving event because really, do I need to spend fifty bucks on something that the current salt box is already doing? And who am I kidding, if a big event comes up and I get a salt box, would I really be as thrilled as I would be if I had gotten jewelry? 

And, for my sister-in-law who has probably not gotten over the fact that I am still reading this one book when she has probably put away 15-20, we have cable television and lots of things to do around the house. I'm chipping away at it though, so stop with the judging.
 

No comments: