Monday, February 1, 2010

kitchen update and baby crazin'

So, the only thing people want to talk about with me lately is my kitchen. Maybe it's because it seems to be all I've been talking about lately so I suppose I can't blame them.

The old cracked plaster ceiling has been removed (see previous kitchen post). The new bead board ceiling was installed thanks to my husband, our friend Jacob, my brother Keith and his two roommates Zach and Aaron. (I felt like I was just writing a thank you note in a CD cover.) The new bead board ceiling got painted and new light fixtures were installed. I also got a jump start on the painting since I was home all day last Friday because of the snow/ice storm. There is still touch up around the trim to do, crown molding to install and painting to be done after the base cabinets are ripped out plus many other items but those are the immediate to-do items.

95 year old cracking plaster after the old light fixtures were removed before we started the demo.

 
It turns out, the cracking plaster was not failing plaster. It was just old and cracked. Nothing wrong with it. It was still very much intact and wanted very much to stay right where it was.

Rockin' the crowbar and hammer.

After the plaster was completely removed. Lath (lathe?) still all there (thank goodness).

Keith, Jacob and Paul getting close to finishing the bead board! At this point, I was pretty thrilled.

 
 The ceiling is painted...and I forgot to mention that the guys got the wall cabinets off for me too! And this was obviously taken on Friday after I had started painting the walls. 

New light fixtures. I LOVE THEM. I have (a couple of times) gone into the kitchen for no reason other than to turn on the lights and look at them. 

Paul working on the trim around our brick chimney. The column? It is staying just the way it is because it is one of the reasons I wanted to buy the house.

Our new refrigerator gets delivered on Saturday. I want to get started on the crown molding soon and then in a few weeks we demolish the remaining cabinets and counter and get the new stuff in! 

In other news...we went to Dallas this past Saturday to do some shopping and to visit my cousin, her husband and their new baby. By new baby I mean three weeks old baby. Lauren was precious and it was great to catch up with Matt and Melissa. 

Yes, I love holding babies right now. A lot. Leave me alone. 

Isn't she precious?! I love this photo of her. I took it on my phone to show my brother, sorry it's so blurry.

The women of the Chase house. Matt is seriously outnumbered.

Well it was a long Monday and I am glad it is over but have a long week ahead of me! Ta-ta for now bloggers.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! We made your blog too! It was so good catching up. I really miss talking to you. I hope we can start keeping in touch more. I miss my favorite cousin!!