Thursday, October 15, 2009

my office attitude

I am starting to realize that I allow my job to run my life. Lately, I have been relatively good about separating my work and personal life but I still struggle to leave it at the office. Not the work but the attitude. Now, when the day at work is fabulous like it was yesterday, it is a good thing to bring home that positive energy (and I do) but when the day goes wrong, how do I leave my negative, gossipy and angry attitude at the desk? It ruins my evenings and I know it is slowly chipping away at Paul and I need to stop it. Maybe it is literally something I tell myself everyday before I walk out of the building. Maybe I stop at the door and tell myself that the bad attitude has to stay in that building and it will be waiting for me when I get back if I want it. And then maybe it will just stay there. I'll try it on my next bad day and I'll let you know how it goes.


Speaking of offices, ours is just about finished with its renovation and...it looks nothing like above. Working in the commercial field our offices tend to lean to the much more modern, bright side. We have bright purple, tomato red and turquoise with a bright modern collaboration space and it works great for us and what we do. But if and when I go back into residential (which I do miss a little bit) a portion of my office would look a little something like that.

1 comment:

jodimichelle said...

I love that office!

I don't know how to leave "bad attitude's" behind either most of the time. I try to tell myself to get over it, and I know it's not office stuff for me, but I generally just like to be stubborn about it and stew. Not so good. I'm trying to get over it.

Aaron seems to think a good 20 min break between work and home, with no phone activity, is a really good unwind. He says it prepares him for being home/jumping into whatever we have going on without bring work into it. I don't know if that would help! And although he knows it works for him, he doesn't do it very often :(