Monday, September 14, 2009

ordinary life: to blog or not to blog?

As I was washing my hair this morning, I started thinking about what "dramatize the ordinary" was and is and should be. I'm not just talking about this blog but the idea in general. I think so often I overlook so much of my life. At least the "ordinary" parts. I'm tired have having ordinary parts; nothing in life should be that way. Why can't everything, including hair washing and driving to work, be special?

I think my original hope was that this blog would reflect that.

Just recently my brother-in-law mentioned that blogging is again the "cool" thing (i.e. the new Xanga) but that people are posting about what he considered nothing ("like what their children eat and stuff"). Some out there, especially the mommy blog community, and not all of them (trust me, not all of them), fall subject to that.

I feel like I am part of that community and I don’t even have children. So far, I feel like this site has been all over the place jumping from my 100 list to my agenda and back to more frivolous things like passion tea lemonade and shoes. I love having this site and started it more than a year ago but just recently got a fire lit underneath myself to write. However, now that it is the "in" and "cool" thing I look like I am just jumping off the next fad cliff. I want to post things people want to read but one of the main focuses of dramatizing the ordinary is writing about the nothing sometimes. I feel like I rarely write about anything with substance and I think that sometimes I am trying too hard to avoid certain topics. Maybe I need to be more specific with my posting, maybe not. If I bore you, I'm sorry but you could just move on and read something else.

No comments: