Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mountain Goats & Sunburns

Friday evening was a lot less stressful than I had planned for it to be. I left work early and grabbed a couple of options from our local grocery store for dessert (brownies vs. funfetti cupcakes) and then ran home and threw the chosen (brownies) into the oven. Ran to meet some girls at Hobby Lobby and by the time I got home, I found my rugs vacuumed, the lawn being mowed, the garage organized and my husband packed. Ladies, if you do not have a husband like mine, I am terribly sorry, because he is absolutely wonderful.

We finished packing up and spent the remainder of the evening just enjoying the fact that he was no longer sick. Bright and early Saturday morning, we got ourselves moving and packed up the car. Our friends Eric and Lauren met us at our house and we quickly got ourselves out of town and on the road to meet the rest of our group at our destination. It took us a lot less time than we had originally planned but we were glad to get there a little early. There were going to be 11 couples from our church class there (and about three kids) so we met the other eight couples that were going to make it early and go on the hike and immediately headed up the mountain. I have forgotten how much I loved summer camp at Quartz Mountain. I used to spend weeks in this area and loved every bit of it. I suppose you could say over the course of 10 summers I hiked up and down those mountains 30 times. This hike however, proved to be a different kind of hike. We started on a trail that was called Sunset Trail and was supposed to be about 1/2 mile hike that would take us approximately 1/2 hour. WRONG. We got ourselves off of the trail pretty quickly, with what we called the mountain goats leading the pack, and made the majority of the hike off the map. There were several husbands in our group that were/are in much better physical condition than the majority of us that were blazing the trail and telling us the best ways to go (those are who we have coined "the mountain goats").

About 50 minutes later, after finding a cactus in my foot and a log in my leg we found a trail. We didn't care what trail it was, as long as it wasn't heading up, we were going to get on it and take it since we were meeting the other three couples for lunch. There was also kickball on the beach, a cook out, and smores at the fire pit. All in all, it was a much needed weekend and I apologize in advance for all of the photos.

Paul took this photo about halfway through our hike. It's a pretty cool lodge and resort to visit, that is if you are ever in the middle of rural Oklahoma.

I'm sure people saw this look on my face a lot on this hike. I prefer my city girl status.






No comments: