Monday, August 17, 2009

Ava, Las Vegas & Blessings from Curses

Today was nothing short of the awfulness that was this weekend. I have however, decided that today, and hopefully from now on, I am going to take the high road.

The morning started poorly since my night was one that resembled nothing like a legitimate source of rest. I tossed and turned all night knowing that I would have to deal with a client meeting today that was on a less than desirable topic. The first two and half hours at the office were jam-packed as I was on the phone with 30 different people and up and down the stairs to pick up prints. I was bombarded by a local company on a conference call that should not have taken place and was overly surprised at how well I handled myself when all I wanted to do was jump through the phone and punch the girl that called me pretending to need something else. (I had my chance to later as she had to bring me some fabrics, but refrained. I could see the receptionist and all of my bosses finding a local furniture dealer lying on the floor of the lobby and knowing that I was the only one with enough guts to sack her.) The meeting went as well as a bad meeting could go and more errands and work are to be done to ensure a better outcome at our next meeting. I had to leave after that for a doctor's appointment to review the blood work and information my OBGYN had gathered at my last appointment. I scarfed down a Braum's cheeseburger with fries and a coke in the 15 minutes I had to spare (sitting in the parking garage at the hospital) to get to my appointment. This was all after a song came on the radio in the Braum's parking lot that made me burst out into sobs. I was sure people were staring at me, but I couldn't stop myself from crying and I don't think I would have if I could.

My doctors appointment lasted the inevitable 2 hours (which should never be the case, but with this doctor it always seem to be) and decided at 4:30, when my appointment was done, it was time to call it quits and to head home.

I became an aunt today! Ava Rose Ryckbost was born today and weighed 7 lbs and 1 ounce. Hopefully I will have some photos soon. I'll be up there in approximately two weeks and will get to meet her in person. The idea of being an aunt is growing on me.


So until I have photos, I leave myself with positive affirmation that my life is going to get better, hopefully tonight or tomorrow, but if not, soon.

"Nothing good comes easily. You have to lose things you thought you loved, give up things you thought you needed. You have to get over yourself, beyond your past, out from under the weight of your future. The good stuff never comes when things are easy. It comes when things are all heavily weighted down like moving trucks. It comes just when you think it never will, like a shimmering Las Vegas rising up out of the dry desert, sparkling and humming with energy, a blessing that rose up out of a bone-dry, dusty curse." Shuana Niequest, Cold Tangerines.

No comments: