Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life

I am going to have to go purchase this book. Maybe tonight.
My friend Jodi was reading this book when she came to visit me a month and a half ago and she was raving about it. Barnes and Noble's synopsis says: "A collection of stories and ideas about the life of celebration that God gives us, this book offers a vision of life as a collection of bright and varied glimpses of hope and redemption and celebration, in and among the heartbreak and boredom and broken glass."

Yes please. This is something I was just talking to my co-workers about yesterday and even today. I have improved my attitude about a lot of crummy work situations over the past year and find things that drive some people crazy, quite comical. Please don't get me wrong, it is still frustrating at the moment when these situations arise and I am not giggly or quick to brush them off. But within 30 minutes, I tend to find myself laughing about what has occurred. I feel better when I laugh about it. I can't be mad and laugh at the same time and I'd rather write those people and situations off as funny or crazy instead of infuriating.

There are some situations, however, that I don't find relief in by putting a positive spin on it, not only in work but in my everyday life too. I need to learn to remember the bigger picture. Not my bigger picture but God's. I am excited about reading this now the more I write...getting myself worked up for an epiphany. I LOVE EPIPHANIES.

I just experienced a little deja vu, so I suppose I should end this post since I have obviously had this conversation with someone before (including the part where I asked Paul how epiphanies was spelled).

UPDATE: Three mega-bookstore chains later...I now own this book.

No comments: