Wednesday, November 17, 2010

it's time to get serious

First of all, I find it ironic that a word that means "to reduce" is eleven letters long. Shouldn't words like this coordinate with their meanings or does the entire basis of oxymoron theory fall on this?



Secondly, I find it strange that someone felt the need to come up with a different word for cleaning (simplification, purging, etc.) for women who are pregnant. Other than the fact that it really is sort of a phenomenon that the desire to get things in order overtakes you, it's still the same thing: cleaning.



Whatever you call it, it's setting in hard around the Ryckbost house. The actual action has not happened yet, but the desire to start is huge. It's 3:00 on a Wednesday afternoon, things have been semi-rough this week and I really should just want to nap, but all I can think about is going home and breaking out the toilet bowl cleaner and purging my makeup box.

Please don't judge me when what's really going to happen this afternoon/evening is something more like this: I leave my office and head home to lay on the couch watching TV while the frozen pizza is warming up in the oven, the bathroom door in my peripheral vision, but don't worry, I won't be moving that direction because I know I won't have time to get it all done before we leave for church. And really? Why bother if you can't get it all done? 

But no really, I want to de-clutter, clean and purge anything I can get my hands on.

The kitchen? I want to clean out the refrigerator and wipe down every crook and crevice. I want to reorganize drawers and base cabinets and they were all just put together in May of this year when we remodeled.

The office? It doesn't need much purging as I took care of most of that back in September but the dresser needs to be painted and the desk needs to be skirted and on and on and on.

Oh and the bookshelves in the living room! Don't get me started on the bookshelves.

Unfortunately, time is not on our side. With family commitments, holidays, our last big vacation sans baby, church, doctor's and dentist appointments, weddings and showers of all sorts, the next seven weeks are pretty well spoken for. I printed a calendar today and penciled in my to-do items.

Did you read that? I penciled in nesting.

I sent Paul an email talking briefly about simplifying our life and typed the line "because some of the simplifying will involve you." His response back to me was, "You're letting me go? :)"

If I knew he'd be taking half the contents out of our little house with him, maybe.

I kid, I kid.

No comments: