Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ironic that i am posting about owls and fireflies in the same day - no relation to the song, really.

I have an aversion to bugs. It's not that I hate them, but 1) I don't want them in my house and 2) I don't want them on me. I have no problem letting them live at peace in their outdoor world, I can't hate nature when it's in nature but the thought of a june bug hitting me in the face on my porch or a mosquito perching on my knee in the backyard has me swatting the air like an idiot.

So, the fact that I have an obsession with lightning bugs is a bit strange.

I liked them as a kid but not like I do now. It all started on our honeymoon and it's still the coolest memory I think I have in my little head. (Although, having a candle lit dinner on a pier in the DR watching a wedding party let off 15-20 Khoom Fay (paper floating lanterns) from the beach and watching them float over our heads was pretty cool too.)


We road tripped to Pennsylvania for our honeymoon to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. We had left the Sunday morning after our wedding, drove all day and as we were starting to get tired, and close to our first overnight stop, we had both grown rather quiet. We had done a lot of talking throughout the day and since it was dark and the music was playing, it was good enough to both just be in the car together. I was looking out of my window as we were flying by the tree lined highway at 80 miles an hour and realized I was looking at more lightning bugs than I had ever seen in my life. There were so many of them and they were flashing so frequently in front of and inside the trees that it made for the coolest moment. I quickly made Paul take his eyes off the road and look at them and although he thought it was rather cool too, I knew I was having one of my moments that I couldn't explain to him. One of those, this moment right here, in this car with my new husband, listnening to this song while watching these thousands of bugs was going to be forever burned into my brain. And I liked it.

No comments: