Sunday, April 18, 2010

can we make taking naps a law?!

Today I took a nap. I know, I know: Surprise, surprise.

A good nap. A nap that I started at 2:45 and I had planned to be up and moving again by 3:30 pm. I slept until 4:45 and I am not apologizing.

We (and by we I totally mean Paul) had just pulled the sheets off of the bed to throw them in the wash and I didn't want to take a nap on the mattress. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I've done it before, just didn't feel like it today.

So I grabbed a blanket and hit our couch.

I love our couch. It's comfy, but has a good shape and structure to it. It isn't poufy or slouchy (thank goodness) and looks great in our living room but I still enjoy sitting on it and laying on it. We rarely do either because our TV isn't in our front living room (that will not be the case for much longer).

So, like I said, we rarely sit on the couch. So why I was possessed to take a nap there instead of the bed (sheets or no sheets) or the futon is beyond me. Oh and it was such a good nap.

Paul was the one that woke me up and after doing so opened the front door to take a look outside. Our couch sits in the center of our living room and when the front door is open you can look right out into the yard and street. It had stopped raining but was still cool. I was so warm from being under the covers for the last two hours that I laid there and enjoyed the gray sky and chilly breeze sweeping in. Paul left me there like that for a bit, door open, zoned out on the couch.

Everything about my living room seemed perfect at that moment. I thought about the people that lived in this house 96 years ago and how on Sunday afternoon maybe one of them took a nap on their couch with the front door open enjoying the perfect weather. No television, just enjoying that moment, not thinking about what they needed to do or had done, just what was happening right then, right there. I looked around the room at all of the woodwork and the windows and I thought about how cool of a house we have. Not because of anything we have done or have but because of how incredibly talented people were a hundred years ago. I could have laid there all afternoon, hours worth enjoying the chill and the craftsmanship but I had to get up and get moving.

Something seemed so right about my nap on the couch and how I woke up. When I sleep in my bedroom and the TV is the first thing I see after I groggily wake up, I'm never in a good mood. Maybe the living room, couch and open door combination is something that I need to insist happen more often.

No comments: