Sunday, December 20, 2009

oh, it's on. it's on like donkey kong.

That's right, our kitchen remodel is going to happen! I'm feeling very very gung-ho about the undertaking and if Paul would let me be in there for more than 15 minutes by myself there would be some serious demolition happening. But he's been a good restraint. I am planning for this to take some time because the next three months of our lives are going to be quite hectic but I've already selected 99% of the things to purchase and have already figured out our sequencing. I'll just need to sit down with that and put it on a calendar but I think we'll have it all done by the end of March (and that's just working on it on the weekends)!

Our kitchen is currently a 3M scotch tape color of yellow. It's cool but a bit much. The original plan was to leave it yellow (probably a new shade of it) because I had found this fabric by Duralee that I was madly in love with. Is it not such a great print?!

Well yesterday when I realized we could pull off doing our kitchen remodel I got myself in there with the fabric and everything felt so forced. The plan for the kitchen didn't really go with anything else we had in the house and it didn't accent the reasons why I love my kitchen now (original red brick oven chimney and our red Le Creuset and Kitchen-aid).

So I took the fabric in the other room so I wouldn't be reminded of it's fabulous-ness and started over. Even though I'm not using the fabric anymore I am beyond thrilled with what I came up with and am giddier than I was before.

The ceiling is a bit beat up so we are going to fix it up and put 2" bead board up (painted white) with two new schoolhouse light fixtures from Rejuvenation. These will be on order soon. We'll put the pendant over the sink and the flush mount in the center of the room.

The trim in our kitchen is currently white (which is how I am going to leave it) but needs some TLC and a fresh coat of paint. For the walls I'm going to paint them a gray by Behr for Home Depot. I've got it narrowed down to two colors, Elephant Skin or Ashes. The color shown here is Ashes and it's currently in the lead. Sexy right?



We're going to put 3x6 white subway tile as a back splash on our wet wall but instead of a typical 18" band, I think I'm going to go to 30-36". We've decided to get new cabinets, as that is what our kitchen needs the most, and are going to stick with white cabinets with satin bin pulls and knobs.We're also adding some base cabinets by our oven.


We go to church with a granite installer and I'm going to have him slap on some spare black granite that he has laying around his shop. With new counters comes a new single basin large stainless steel sink and faucet. Basically we are going to have a gray and white kitchen that my pots, plates and small appliances are going to pop off of!

I am more excited than you can even begin to imagine. I cannot wait to get it started and finished!

No comments: